LA County & Justice Community
> MensCentral Jail Facility
> Event Detail
Search Sheriff's Website
Inmate Mail Regulations
General mailing address for all incarcerated Male and Female inmates send to:
Inmate Name, Booking Number
PO BOX 86164
Los Angeles, CA 90086-0164
Mail for female inmates can also be sent to:
Inmate Name, Booking Number
Century Regional Detention Facility
11705 S. Alameda Street
Lynwood, CA 90262
Q: What are the inmate mail rules and regulations?
A: The Los Angeles County Jail has strict inmate mail procedures for security and safety reasons.
All inmates are advised repeatedly on these regulations and are instructed to notify anyone that might end mail or parcels of these acceptable procedures. Any mail or parcels that are received contrary to these guidelines will be returned "intact" to the sender. However, any contraband identified, may be confiscated and booked into evidence. Many of the items not allowed are readily available through the jail stores, and are therefore not allowed.
Your cooperation when corresponding with an inmate will be greatly appreciated. Your mail or parcel has been returned for the following reasons(s):
The following items are not allowed to be received through the mail:
- Food or cosmetic items
- Stationery, blank envelopes, envelopes with metal clasps, postage stamps, envelops with gang or suggestive drawings/art work
- Cash, personal or second party checks, traveler's checks, payroll checks
- A single money order exceeding the $200 limit
- Blank money orders (money orders must be signed and made payable to the inmate)
- Non U.S. Post Office out-of-state money orders (out-of-state money orders must be from the U.S. Post Office)
- Musical, plastic, plastic covered, blank, greeting or post cards larger than 6"x9"
- Identification card or facsimiles
- Paper clips, staples, pens, pencils, glitter, stickers, glued or gummed labels
- Rosary beads, balloons, string bracelets, or other jewelry items
- Lottery tickets or prepaid telephone cards
- Cellophane tape or any type of tape on letters
With respect to photographs and computer-generated pictures, the following will apply:
- A maximum number of five (5) photographs are allowed (inmates are only allowed to possess five (5) photographs at any time)
- Photographs or computer generated pictures must be a minimum of 2"x3" and a maximum of 4"x6" size
- Photographs or pictures that are nude, suggestive, showing gangs, gang tattoos, or hand gestures (signs) are not allowed
With respect to books, publications, or periodicals, we will not accept:
- Anything NOT sent directly from a bookstore or publisher
- Anything of an explicit sexual nature
- More than three (3) books per week
- More than three (3) magazines per week
NOTE: the items listed above are current, however the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has the right continually update this list and to return any mail item(s) if those item(s) are deemed potentially harmful or may cause a possible insecure environment to the general Inmate population.
For more information on any of the above mentioned topics check out our Inmate Information Center webpage at
or call the Inmate Information Line at (213) 473-6100.
The LASD.org® website has made reasonable efforts to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated or computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace human or traditional translation methods. The official text is the English version of LASD.org® website. If any questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information presented by the translated version of the website, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
© Copyright 2014 . LASD. All Rights Reserved LASD Badge and Patch are Registered Trademarks.